Here are some of our lovely squash plants. Tuesday night I fried us up a few “squish” for dinner. Yum-yum!
Haven’t had fried squash? You must not be a Southerner.
That’s okay; I won’t hold it against you. 🙂
Here’s my EASY fried squash recipe:
1. Slice up some squash (I like to throw in some onion and peppers, even zucchini when it’s in.).
2. In a small bowl, mix cornmeal, salt, and pepper.
3. Add veggies and toss.
4. In cast iron skillet, pour in 1/4 cup oil and heat on medium-high.
5. Once hot, add cornmeal-breaded veggies in a single layer and let set until squash begins to brown. Don’t turn the squash a lot or it will get mushy. Let it get crispy and brown.
6. Continue adding cornmeal and oil as needed. Like my dad, I love the taste of nearly-burned cornmeal, so I tend to add extra cornmeal.
I planted some zinnia seeds around the border of our garden to attract bees and just because. I love zinnias. They’re so English-looking.